Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Ornament Month! Fanned Security Paper Ball

 For today's ornament, I whipped out my collection of security envelopes - this time, I only chose the blue ones.  Here's what I did:

1) Trace circles onto your envelopes.  I used the top of a small tin for mine, it was probably about 3 inches in diameter.  I don't know how great I am at eyeballing measurements though.


2) Cut out all your circles.  I think I had about 24 in all.


3) Fold all your circles in half.


4) Take your glue stick and start gluing your halves together,


       like so:


5) Once you have all your circles glued together, set them on an edge somewhere to dry.  The edge of my stamp box worked nicely.  Don't glue the two ends together yet though!


6) Ahh! I didn't take pictures of this part - try to use your imagination ok??  Cut several lengths of embroidery thread in various shades of blue, fold them in half, and tie a knot in it about an inch and a half from the folded end to form your hanging loop.

7) Put the loose end in the center of your paper fan ball and glue the remaining two sides together.

8) Tie a knot at the bottom of the ball to keep it from sliding off the thread.

TADA!  You're done!!

I'd say this ornament turned out pretty well, although I didn't do a super excellent job with my gluing, so the ball is a little loose in some areas.  Looks kind of like a Chinese lantern to me.  If I were to do this again, I'd use fewer circles.  Maybe something like 16?  Mine is a little too full for all of the fan leaves to be seen.  Not bad for just throwing together a few things I had lying around, huh?

2 comments:

Mom said...

Very Cute!

Anita said...

Sooo cute! This was my fav ornament from OM, (b/c I love upcycling crafts!) with the sequined one a close second! And the little metal tree you displayed them all with is really a great idea!