Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Pom Pom Pom Pom Pom Pom Pom Pom...

Oh pom-poms (aka pompons, as I often see it written but I've never actually heard it said this way).  Pom-poms are great!  They are super easy to make!  I have piles of yarn sitting around, leftover from other projects when I used to do more crochet work.  Then one day back in February or so I was overcome with need.  The need to make pom-poms!

 My apologies for the crummy lighting! Our home is like a pit of darkness...

I made my pom-poms out of lionbrand homespun yarn.  I love this stuff!  It's so soft and cuddly, and pom-poms made out of it are simply luxurious (if there is such thing as a luxurious pom-pom that is).
One downside of making pom-poms out of homespun is that there are little yarn fuzzies flying around and making you sneeze for a while after.  This probably happens with a lot of yarns, but it is especially bad with this super soft, squishy yarn.

Making pom-poms is sooooooo easy.  You can buy pom-pom makers, which make it a snap.  You can go the more frugal route and make your own pom-pom makers (I really like this idea - I think I made pom-pom easter "chicks" - mine was more duck like - with this method in first grade).  I just went the lazy route and wrapped the yarn around my fingers and hands, depending on how big i wanted the finished pom-pom to be.  I think this method takes a lot more trimming in the end, but hey - who doesn't like to give things a haircut?  After I made this first little pile of fluffies, I went a little pom-pom crazy and decided to use up all my small balls of homespun for pom-poms.  Now I have all these:

They're multiplying like Tribbles!

After I took the above picture, I found that the pom-poms shedded all over the bedspread.  We'll see if the husband notices the big red and brown fuzzy splotch before he reads this blog post...

 Can you see all the fuzz?  No? Good.

This pom-pom is my favorite because I think it looks like a little lambie tail!

Hey Bo-Peep! I found one!

I didn't realize it when I took this photo, but now I think it's kind of a funny picture since Stephen has a giant knife in one hand and a little fluffy pom-pom in the other.  Ok, maybe it's not that funny. MAYBE we can pretend he just chopped the tail off of a cute little lambie.  Then the picture is not funny.  Then it is gruesome and sad.  I'm sorry I showed you such a disturbing photo.

What am I going to do with all these pom-poms?  I'm not really sure, actually.  But now instead of a big bag of yarn I have a big box of pom-poms.  That's progress right?

2 comments:

Laura Maurer Storms said...

Put them on your tennies of course!

MOM said...

Hey I got an email pattern from lioncraft for hats you can knit to put those pom poms on