Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Ornament Month! The "This didn't actually work out" Ornaments

I mentioned in a previous post that I'd reused an ornament that I'd screwed up from another ornament attempt.  I decided to go ahead and show you that attempt, so you'd get that silly idea that I'm perfect out of your heads.  I'm real, just like you. Sometimes, however rare it may be, I do make mistakes (ok - I screw stuff up all the time!)  This is what happened with my "painted-on-the-inside" ornaments.

This seemed like SUCH a good idea when I thought of it.  I'd seen some ornaments before that looked like they'd been painted on the inside, and here I had some clear glass ornaments and some paint leftover from another project.  This was going to be a breeze!

I just squirted a couple colors of paint in each one, and swirled them around until the whole inside was covered, and then tipped them upside down until all the excess paint dripped out  Well, the paint never actually dried.  It just dribbled out little by little by little until they ended up...


and see through.

Oh well.  So much for that idea.  I just used cheap acrylic paints for this, and I'm pretty sure they still aren't entirely dry inside...  I'm convinced that it would work with a different kind of paint though, because they looked awesome before they started to look awful.


Janet at New Moon Glass said...

I believe they look very cool!
I guess it's all in the eye of the beholder...

Mom said...

they painted ornaments like that in the Life Skills class at the HS - well actually the teachers did most of it - they turned out pretty good - but I don't know what kind of paint they used