Friday, September 17, 2010

Thread Project #2: Cute framed spools

Stephen and I had these cute pictures hanging in our kitchen.  They are supposed to look like this:


Instead, since there is a cabinet door that opens into them, and the door to the laundry room is right next to them, they often ended up looking like this instead:


I got sick of straightening them (ok, I didn't do it very often).  I decided it was time for a change.  I remembered when I posted about all my vintage spools someone had commented a suggestion to frame them.  I thought that was a great idea, so now my frames look like this:


The frames (ikea ribba frames) are pretty deep, so there was room to throw the spools in there loose. I picked a few spools for each one, put a piece of white card stock for backing, and shook them up, letting the spools settle wherever they wanted.  I love how they turned out!  I picked the colors to match my bulletin board:


I think they turned out fantastically!  I can't wait to get them up on the wall!  I'll make sure to hang them away from any doorways and cabinets this time.

4 comments:

What I Did Today said...

What a great idea! I really like the color groupings!

Mom said...

Very clever & cute :)

Sam Harvey said...

very clever indeed. here is another idea...you could tack some colored paper of complementary color to the back side of the frames so the color pops out even more. pink would look great with green paper, green with pink background and yellow with pastel violet or something like that.

Rachel said...

I love love LOVE those framed spools! The colors look so vibrant and they are a fun hit of funk :)