Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Marble Magnets: Simple and fun!

Here's a little project I did quite a while ago, but I still think they are super cute so here they are!  It all started years ago.  I may have been a freshman at Baylor, but it might have been after that. All I know is I was still living with my room mate Holly (pre-Stephen time), and that my sister made me some really cute magnets.  They were some of those glass marbles glued to letters cut out from magazines to say "Holly and Jenny".  I still have those darn magnets even though it's been years since I've talked to Holly.
I always looked at those magnets and thought, "I could make these.  It looks like fun too!"
Fast forward to 2009 and voila!

Marble magnets and a tasty recipe for chicken and rice!

I just glued some little circles of cute scrapbook paper to the back of a glass marble (I can't remember what kind of glue it is, but it's very strong and also messy - it was in the floral section and had pictures of glass marbles glued to a vase on it...).  Then once it was dry I hot glued it to a magnet - just one of those round black ones, I think I used half inch ones, maybe three-quarter.  If I ever make any more I'll glue the marble/paper piece to the magnet with the floral glue because I ripped a couple of the hot glued magnets apart trying to take them off of the fridge.  I'm pretty sure I just wasn't patient enough to let my glue gun heat up all the way though, so the glue wasn't gluey enough.

Here are some neat ones I made using leftover paper scraps from our wedding programs, and some real flowers that I pressed myself! (I have a whole box of pressed flowers with no purpose. So sad!!)


"We look better in person!"

After making a few magnets, I still had a whole bag of glass marbles, and I was so excited to be using my scrapbook paper that I went a little overboard...


Anyone have any spare magnets???

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wish I could get some of these magnets for Christmas!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Wouldn't it just be wonderful!!!! I could put up lots of pictures with cool magnets like these!

Anonymous said...

still hoping my Christmas wish will come true!

Anonymous said...

Were you good this year?

Anonymous said...

Rats, I didn't get any magnets for Christmas
:( Maybe for my birthday if I am lucky....

Laura Maurer Storms said...

I forgot to read your blog for a long time so i'm catching up. I completely forgot I made you guys those magnets! I used to have a ton of them including one of Johnny Depp's Face, but i don't know what happened to them. I'm pretty sure i just used elmer's gule gel to make mine, but i can't say for sure...

Anonymous said...

Rats, I didn't get any magnets for my birthday either.. Gotta figure out a way to score some magnets....